Sculpture has been bisque fired, and instead of glazing the piece, I have decided to apply oxides to the surface. After a second firing, the lower portion should be dark brown/red and black depending on how much oxide is on each area. Oxides were applied, and then rubbed away with a wet sponge to reveal texture.
After the piece has finished its run through the kilns, I will be adding hair to all of the little nodules on the top tentacle-like portions of the piece. Like hair plugs. There is an opening on each nodule where I will insert the hair I have been saving…
Here is a small example of that. You’re welcome.
After yet another firing failure with the last piece I posted about, I decided to make a mold of the same type of form in order to make multiples. I was thinking that this would help me overcome the failure rate, which as of late has been 100%. However, I soon realized that if I had a 3 peice press mold of the form, I could assemble it in any combination I want.
So, the idea now is to create a series of “growing” forms. Each form will have more rolls and bubbling fat than the last form.
Stage 1: (From various angles)
Texture Close ups:
One of the press molds:
Sorry for the excess of photos, but I thought for the sake of entertainment value, I’d share a picture of what my studio space looks like. I’m officially a crazy hoarder.
You can see on the lower left, under my desk, the ruins of Kevin Gen. 2 (in the back) and the Fat torso sculpture (front).
If anyone lasted through this whole post, thank you.